By Janice Peck
Read Online or Download Age of Oprah: Cultural Icon for the Neoliberal Era (Media and Power) PDF
Best gender studies books
The lifestyles histories and stories of 9 Salvadoran ladies from varied generations form this intimate portrayal of up to date El Salvador. The authors interviewed a grandmother, mom, and granddaughter from 3 Salvadoran households: l. a. Familia Nuñez, contributors of the higher category; l. a. Familia Rivas, from El Salvador's growing to be center type; and l. a. Familia García, from the campo, the Salvadoran peasantry.
Examines fantasies of charismatic, virile leaders in British literature from the 1790s to the 1840s. From the 1790s to the 1840s, the phobia that Britain had develop into too effeminate to guard itself opposed to the anarchic forces unleashed by means of the French Revolution produced in lots of British writers of the interval a wish to painting robust leaders who may keep an eye on the democratic and advertisement forces of modernization.
During this brilliantly combative examine, Robyn Wiegman demanding situations modern clichés approximately race and gender, a formula that's itself a cliché short of wondering. As a part of what she calls her "feminist disloyalty," she turns a serious, even skeptical, eye on present debates approximately multiculturalism and "difference" whereas at the same time exposing the numerous ways that white racial supremacy has been reconfigured because the institutional loss of life of segregation.
A brutal gang-rape of a tender lady in India in 2012 triggered an international outcry opposed to emerging brutal violence opposed to girls. based on the younger woman's demise and the protests that undefined, the individuals research the location of girls in South Asia, the difficulty of violence, women's political activism and gender inequalities.
- Queen for a Day: Transformistas, Beauty Queens, and the Performance of Femininity in Venezuela (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
- “Neoliberalization” as Betrayal: State, Feminism, and a Women’s Education Program in India (Comparative Feminist Studies)
- Gender and Technology. The “Female Factor” in Software Design
- Gender Roles: A Sociological Perspective
- The Black Body in Ecstasy: Reading Race, Reading Pornography (Next wave)
- Beyond Explicit: Pornography and the Displacement of Sex
Extra info for Age of Oprah: Cultural Icon for the Neoliberal Era (Media and Power)
Age of Oprah: Cultural Icon for the Neoliberal Era (Media and Power) by Janice Peck